Sunday, March 14, 2010

Wardrobe detox

I've spent the evening attempting a bit of a wardrobe detox. I don't believe in any rules like "if you haven't worn it for 12 months it goes." My problem is the emotional attachment I have with my clothes - I connect clothes with events, memories, people, places, life experience. It makes getting rid of things hard.

The second problem is that my clothing is not there purely to be functional. I don't see getting dressed as covering up the bare essentials (haha), rather I see it as creating a character every day, dressing up. Because of this, my wardrobe is kind of like a costume shop, with all sorts of bits and pieces. I have things that I sewed ten years ago, wigs, fancy dress costumes and piles of accessories. Whenever I'm involved in the theatre, I'm always the go-to girl for costuming. My friends know that they'll always find something to borrow for a costume party.

Unfortunately, I don't have a walk-in wardrobe, and storage is getting tight: I have too much stuff. To get rid of my clothes though, my memories... it's difficult.

I'm taking baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment