Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Good habits

They say it takes four weeks to develop a habit. Well I've just ticked over into my fourth week of running and couldn't be happier!


Naomi Campbell in Harper's Bazaar, shot by Jean-Paul Goude.


While I've never been a particularly unhealthy person (vegetarian, non-smoker, cyclist), I've never been fit either. Since switching from daily cycling to driving, I needed to inject some exercise into my lifestyle.

I'd been debating the idea since returning home from France a year ago and finally bit the bullet and bought appropriate shoes one month back. Since then I've been running three times a week, with the help of this app. It's brilliant! When I compare the way I was running this afternoon to how much I was struggling with one-minute runs a few weeks back.... It feels so good to feel your body getting stronger.

I don't want to become one of those people that go on and on about exercise. But if you are considering running, or just feel the need to make a change I encourage you to try it. Start slowly. Don't worry about people looking at you - I promise you they're not. Step into your new sneakers, put on a cotton tshirt and slick your hair into a high ponytail. Fuchsia lipstick optional (not too bad with my pink post-exercise face!) Just get out there, into the fresh air and do it. Peek into your neighbours' gardens. Avoid the dog poo. Take a different direction every day. Drop off overdue books at the library along the way. Make it part of your routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment